Home | News    Thursday 21 May 2020

U.S. confirms preliminary settlement agreement with Sudan to settle 1998 embassy bombings

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

Tibor Nagy, the U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for Africa (Reuters photo)May 21, 2020 (WASHINGTON) - The United States on Thursday confirmed reports that a preliminary agreement was reached with Sudan to settle lawsuits related to the 1998 twin bombings of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Nairobi.

"I can confirm that we have reached a common understanding with Sudan – and my words here are very careful – on the contours of a future bilateral claims agreement, on the contours of such an agreement," the U.S. Assistant Secretary of state for African Affairs Tibor Nagy told reporters in a phone briefing today.

"[T]his final agreement will reflect Sudan’s agreement to pay – it would include compensation in connection with claims relating also to non-U.S. nationals killed and injured in the embassy bombings," he added. 

Nagy stressed that the latter has been "a high priority" for Washington "given that these foreign nationals were our employees and contractors".

The official, however, refused to explain the next steps left to finalize the agreement and whether it means removing Sudan from the list of states that sponsor terrorism is now imminent.

"The termination of the designation of state sponsors of terrorism is not going to be flipping a switch. It is a process involving several branches of the U.S. Government" he said.

Earlier this week the U.S. supreme court revived the possibility of collecting $4.3 punitive damage claims from Sudan on the embassy bombings.

U.S. courts held Sudan liable because in the 1990’s it hosted al-Qaeda terrorists who carried out the attacks.

The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) which was the first outlet to report the settlement agreement quoted a congressional source as saying that the victims would receive more than $300 million altogether as part of the settlement.

But African victims are reportedly resistant to the deal given the disparity in compensation with American litigants.

It is not clear how a settlement would proceed given their objections.

Nagy acknowledged that after the supreme court ruling "litigation related to those claims is going to continue" but that they "remain absolutely committed to our efforts to work with Sudan to achieve a resolution of the claims related to the 1998 East Africa bombings".

Nagy did not address how Sudan will pay for the settlement amid suggestions that the Arab Gulf states have been reluctant to step in.

Sudan is unlikely to sign off on a settlement without firm guarantees from the US on delisting.

The U.S. administration of President Bill Clinton added Sudan to its list of state sponsors of terrorism in 1993 over allegations that then-President Omar al-Bashir’s Islamist government was supporting terrorist groups.

The designation makes Sudan technically ineligible for debt relief and financing from the IMF and World Bank despite being eligible for debt relief under the Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) plan.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 22 May 11:29, by Fathi

    "The termination of the designation of state sponsors of terrorism is not going to be flipping a switch. It is a process involving several branches of the U.S. Government" he said."

    repondre message

    • 22 May 11:35, by Fathi

      This guy and his metaphors ... first it was peeling an onion, then it was house of cards, now it is flipping a switch. It’s been over a year since we removed Bashir and we’re in the middle of COVID-19 .. inexcusable.

      repondre message

      • 22 May 11:36, by Fathi

        Tibor needs to submit his resignation letter before he runs out of metaphors. You can’t keep making excuses for such an incompetent president that can’t even locate Sudan on a map.

        repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Sudan’s legitimate request for UN assistance: the opponents their interior motives? (2-3) 2020-06-05 12:29:45 By: Trayo A. Ali To expose and preempt the plot these opposing forces to the UN are hatching, the tricks and tactics using, the ploys they are crafting and ulterior motives they harbour and the (...)

We neither Forget nor Forgive the 3 June 2019 Massacre 2020-06-04 06:41:26 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Today Wednesday, June 3rd 2020 comes as the great epic of redemption at the dawn of the third of June 2019, whose memory will remain immortal in the history book, (...)

The untold crisis of health system in South Sudan 2020-06-03 06:49:09 by Dr Jok Gang The South Sudanese war began in 1955 at the time when people of the region began to feel a lack of representation in the government and therefore the absence of the crucial (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2020 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.